PCGC Plant City Garden Club. Inc.
A group of ladies, belonging to the Plant City Woman’s Club, with a love of gardening began gathering to further their knowledge in horticulture. The Club was organized in the name of Plant City Garden Club in 1948 with the purpose of members and quests to learn and teach horticulture, conservation, flower arranging, botany, litter control, pollution and civic beautification. In November of 1949, the Garden Club became part of The Florida Federation of Garden Clubs. Members began attending the University of Florida Short Course, annual classes for three days with topics on horticulture and design.
Interest in designing with flowers began with an annual Harvest Tea sponsored by Sunshine State Federal Savings and Loan, under the direction of President Roy E. Thacker. Floral designs were judged and the bank presented the Silver Awards. The Harvest Teas were an annual event that lasted for eight years.
The First Federated Flower Show was held in the National Guard Building at the annual Strawberry Festival to be followed by the Club’s sponsored Horticulture Show in the newly added exhibit building of the Festival.
The Club bought its own building in 1966 at 1112 N. Wheeler St. with a fifteen year mortgage, which was later paid off in ten years. Having our own building allowed the club to hold its annual flower show in our own building.
As the club grew, interest turned more to community activities. They sponsored Butterfly Gardens in the schools, road clean-ups, Habitat for Humanity, monthly beautification awards to gardens in the area, a tour of home gardens and participated in the forming of a Veteran’s Memorial Garden at Courier Field. Past Beautification projects include the old Plant City High School Building known as the 1914 Building, and the new Plant City Police Station.
The Plant City Garden Club Center was sold on July 15, 2007 and is currently a dance studio. Club Board Meetings are held prior to the monthly general meeting. General Meetings are held on the second Monday of the Month at 10:30 A.M. at the Walden Lake East Community Center, 1304 Teakwood Dr. 33563, visitors and interested members of the community are always welcome.
To further the education of members and the public in the fields of Gardening, horticulture, botany, floral design, landscape design, environmental awareness through the conservation of natural resources, civic beautification, nature studies and to instill in our youth the love of gardening and the respect for and protection of the environment.
Our Garden Club brings some knowledge of easy ways to make good choices that will conserve and protect all that we rely on to survive. This includes clean water, air and soil. We are a forum for exchanging ideas on how to successfully increase efforts to green our lives. Included in our efforts are Arbor Day tree plantings as well as Earth Day programs in area schools.